A zero waste, reusable and compostable natural water filters. Suitable for a 1 litre jug of water. Now packaged in a reusable natural cotton bag with 4 charcoal filters.
Bamboo charcoal water filters are a refreshingly simple and natural way of filtering tap water. Just leave it in a jug filled with tap water and it will slowly filter out impurities such as chlorine and chloramines make your water tastier and free from typical tap water odour. A zero waste alternative to plastic water filters. The filters can be reused in many useful ways throughout your house and composted at the end of their life.
An added benefit of using bamboo charcoal water filters is that it "mineralises" the water during initial usage by slowly releasing minerals - potassium, magnesium, etc. - into the water.
How to reuse your bamboo charcoal around the house
After using the bamboo charcoal water filters for around 2-6 months, don't throw it away! Charcoal also regulates moisture, reduces odours, inhibits mould and keeps food fresh. You can be creative and give your charcoal a second life, for example in:
- mouldy kitchen and bathroom corners
- places you keep food and fruits (e.g. the fridge, bread bin, fruit bowl)
- smelly places (e.g. the fridge, loo, shoes)
- places you want to keep very dry (e.g. chests of drawers)
Make sure the pieces are completely dry before re-using. If you place them in a mild environment like chests of drawers, you can more or less use forever.
In tougher places like the bathroom or the fridge, the charcoal may start looking a bit tired after a few months. Occasionally put them out in the sun and let breathe if you want to keep them in good condition. Re-use for 6-12 months.
Instructions For Use
Use approx. : 1 litre jug = 3 - 4 pieces; 2 litre jug = 6 - 8 pieces
1. Wash in running water to remove powder (do not use detergent).
2. Boil for 10 mins in a pan of water to sterilise & allow to cool and dry.
3. Place in a jug and fill with tap water (charcoal may float when new but it will tend to sink after a week or so of use).
4. Leave for 8 hours or more for best results. You can leave it in the fridge to chill if you like. It's then ready to drink.
5. Re-sterilise once a week by repeating step 2.
6. Replace with new charcoal after 2-6 months approx.